How to Choose a Playpen for Babies
Perhaps, you are an entrepreneur by profession and a young mother too. Working from home and looking after your baby and home are more than a handful, right? That’s when you need to think about leaving your baby to play with his toys on his own in a playpen for babies while you get some work done.
Enter the playpen, also called a playard.
What Is a Playpen for Babies?
Of late, if the question, “What is a playpen for babies” has been bothering you, why not examine your need for one? Basically, this is a unit of furniture in which you can place your baby or toddler. Ideally, the little one should be under 89 cm tall and 14 kg in weight.
By placing him in a playpen for babies, you easily prevent him from harming himself if he wanders away up or down the stairs while you are busy at work. This is also a good opportunity for the kid to explore activities he might like to do on his own, such as playing with toys, crayons, etc.
If you still wonder why to buy a playpen, think of those times when you need to palace your baby somewhere safe for some time. That’s when a playpen is really handy. Parents who have used one over the past few years admit that playpens are the best play areas for babies.
The playpens available these days aren’t a boon only for this reason: They are also safe to use since they are made of HDPE material which is non-toxic and perfectly safe for your toddler. Besides, they are also good value for money as they can be used as travel cots or transformed into stair gates, room dividers, or fireguards.
What Age Are Playpens Suitable For?
You might wonder when to put your baby in a playpen, it’s important for you to know at what age are playpens suitable for babies or toddlers. Ideally, a playpen is just the thing for your baby when he’s starting to crawl, perhaps around six months of age or so. So, it would work well for you to buy a playpen before your toddler is too independent on the floor so that he or she can get used to one.
Are Playpens Safe For Babies To Sleep In?
While scouting for a good baby playpen for a 1-year-old, your prime consideration should be his safety. To ensure he’s safe within a playpen, check for the following:
- The playpen is of standard height and breadth.
- The playpen shouldn’t have any sharp corners or edges that could harm the little one.
- Its mesh sides should not have holes larger than 0.6 cm so that the baby’s fingers do not get caught in them.
- Traditional wooden playpens should have slats measuring 5.08 cm in width.
- The mattress should be an inch in thickness.
- The locks with which you lower a side of the playpen should be way out of your kid’s reach.
Benefits of Using a Playpen: Why Your Baby Should Spend Time Here
There are many more benefits of using a baby playpen.
- Explore, Play, Travel
A playpen for your baby isn’t only a safe area for him to play and explore. It can also double up as a travel bed. You’ll be happy to know that some of the best playpens for babies are equipped with changing tables, bassinet insert, mobile, etc, which make them just right for traveling.
Playpen for kids are also endowed with features for outdoor use, so their multi-features are really good value for money.
- It’s Safe for Baby
Being a cut-off area for the toddler, a playpen spells safety for him. Playpens are created with a toddler’s safety in mind, so you’ll find that they are large enough for easy movement. However, you might like to add in a play mat so that your baby is well-cushioned. Its plastic frame and a door lock prevent the child from crawling away on his own. It also means he can remain there happily without any supervision. You can also add wall mounts so that your child remains within the playpen.
- Just Right for a Group of Kids
You might wonder how you’re going to manage a few kids along with yours. But place them all in a playpen and see how well they play together. In this defined area, they learn to play and share their toys. Even if they do make a mess, it’s not all over the place but only in the playpen, so the area to be cleaned is limited. In fact, as he gets used to his playpen and playing here, you might wonder what eye-catching objects to add to the playpen.
Easy to Set Up and Fold Away
Playpens are as easy to set up as they are to fold away and store. Babies soon take to their playpens and even find napping here comfortable and easy.
- A Safe and Secure Storage Area Too
A safe zone in a playpen for toddlers also doubles up as a storage area for his extra toys. Alternatively, you can add some soft pillows too.
Top 3 Playpen for Babies in India: Reviews
If you’re a first-time parent and are wondering which playpen to buy for your baby, don’t be overwhelmed by the various playpen types you see. We’ve tested the leading playpen and offer you what we consider the best three, so you can easily make your choice.
- Arkmiido Kids Fence, Portable Fencing for Infants and Babies Lightweight Mesh Baby Playpen with Carrying Case Easily Open Orange
This one’s just right for babies as they can easily crawl and play inside happily and safely. There’s a child safety fence too so that you can watch them while attending to your work.
- At 15 sq. feet, it’s large enough for toddlers and their friends to move around happily and play with their toys.
- It’s made of environmentally safe and breathable material. Its five panels are made of mesh through which both you and your child can see each other.
- It’s a portable baby playpen, apart from being reliable, and tough, so you can set it up anywhere easily. Since it’s made of PVC plastic, it will remain in position even if the weather changes and will be safe for kids.
- Large and roomy
- Set up is easy
- Difficult to assemble
- A thin mat doesn’t give baby much protection
- LuvLap Sunshine Baby Playpen Playard/Folding Baby Bed Cum Cot/Convertible Crib – (Grey)
One outstanding feature of the Luvlap Sunshine Baby Playpen is that it is lightweight, compact, and easy folding system and store away. It is also safe for baby’s use as it is certified by En-standards of international health.
- It is tough and has an easy to use folding system, making it the No. 1 choice when traveling.
- Two-sided mesh enhances visibility and ventilation. The baby stays inside safe and happy due to its wide zipper door. The baby is kept safe from insects due to the net covering.
- Its steel frame makes it sturdy while its polyester cover makes it easy to clean.
- As your baby grows, this playpen can be converted into a baby cot.
- Not durable
- The mattress is very hard for babies.
- Graco Pack N Play On The Go Playard, Twister, Multicolor
One of India’s best baby gear brands, Graco offers you the sturdiest and most durable playpen for your growing baby. You can safely use it until your baby is two years old.
- The Graco Pack N Play comes with a bassinet that folds easily with the playpen.
- Its feet and castors are foldable, making it compact.
- The bassinet is detachable from the unit, rendering it perfect for a siesta.
- Your baby can amuse himself with toys from the toy bar.
- A carrying bag makes travel with this playpen easy and fuss-free.
- The push-button fold allows you to close the playpen quickly and easily.
- The unit is bulky.
- Cannot be cleaned well after accidents
If you’re wondering where to buy a baby playpen, the short answer is: Anywhere. However, if you do want to buy any of the playpens reviewed here or see some more models, go online and you’ll find a mind-boggling range. You can also check out some online reviews of the best playpen for babies India 2020 and then make an informed decision. After all, if it’s for your baby, you need to decide well before buying.
Babies’ Playpen Buying Guide
The playpen you choose should be durable. If it is a cloth playpen, ensure the material feels soft and is absorbent. If you go in for a plastic body, check that it is strong and can bear your baby’s movements and weight.
Your first concern when choosing a playpen for your baby in India should be his safety. Select the best baby playpen according to his age, height, and weight. Ensure that once you place your baby inside it, he will be secure inside. After all, for the time he spends inside his playpen, its walls need to be secure. An important concern is the drop-sided walls of the playpen should be safe for the little one, or the infant might just suffocate inside it.
- Ease of Maintenance
By choosing a playpen made of water-resistant material, you will find cleaning up a breeze. Whether the child spills a liquid or any food, cleaning it only means an easy wipe with a small cloth.
Les Anderson on Unsplash
Choose a high-quality product, don’t go by its cost. If you get one at a reasonable cost, consider that your best buy. Before buying, check to see if all the playpen’s parts are new and unused. Ensure that the playpen you buy will offer your baby several benefits as he grows. Spend judiciously and let your baby enjoy his time in his very own playpen.
The design of the gate should provide maximum comfort to your child. If the door is comfortable to use, it will keep the little one inside the playpen without any struggle or fuss. Ideally, your playpen should have a broad zipper gate attached to a fence.
The playpen you buy must afford enough room to house the baby and his toys. Additionally, he should be able to move around in it without dashing into his toys and crayons. If the one you choose is designed for easy storage, you can easily use it for a long time and absolutely without damage.
Now that you know how to go about choosing a babies’ playpen, you’re ready to scour the market for the best one for your baby. If you’d like to have more useful information that concerns your baby, return here. And if you like this blog, comment below. We’ll be happy to know your thoughts.